[arch-general] tap device

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 06:43:16 EDT 2014

On Tuesday 11 Mar 2014 18:03:20 arnaud gaboury wrote:
> > OK, so you really just need basic internet connectivity; you don't
> > have any special filtering requirements. When you boot the
> > container, can it see the enp7s0 interface? That is, is the enp7s0
> > interface visible both from the host and from the container?
>
> no. On container, I just see hos0, what is expected

So you're using --network-veth when you launch the container? As far as I can tell, you
don't need a tap interface at all; that will be handled automatically by systemd.

I think all you need to do is create the bridge br0, binding the physical interface enp7s0 on
its own (a bridge containing only the host's adaptor). Then, you launch the container with --
network-bridge=br0. That will automatically add the container's interface to the bridge.

I'm not sure if the container will be aware of the bridge's IP address at this point. I'd want to
check with the "ip a" command to see if it's listening on the same IP address on host0 and
check to see if it has connectivity before assigning an IP to the host0 interface inside the
container.

Paul