[arch-general] tap device

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 10:04:01 EDT 2014

On Wednesday 12 Mar 2014 14:48:38 arnaud gaboury wrote:
> Right. I am left after I boot my machine (the host) with this :
>
> 4: vb-dahlia: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop master br0
> state DOWN group default qlen 1000
>     link/ether 62:a2:6b:f4:0f:87 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>
> I have to manually
> # ip link set dev vb-dahlia up
>
> to get the network working on the container :
>
> 2: host0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,ALLMULTI,NOTRAILERS,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu
> 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
>     link/ether 5a:51:a2:a2:b5:fb brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>     inet 192.168.1.94/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global host0
>        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
>     inet6 fe80::5851:a2ff:fea2:b5fb/64 scope link
>        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

Does it work if you do "ip link set host0 up" in the container? I think that would be a better
solution.

> Ah? I have two netctl profiles, one for my physical eth (enp7s0) with
> no ip, one for bridge (br0) with enp7s0 binded to.
> So you mean you don't have any bridge profile managed by netctl ?

As far as the host is concerned, I think you should consider the bridge as if it were the only
interface. The enp7s0 interface is part of the bridge and should not be configured in addition
to being joined to the bridge. So yeah, I would get rid of the physical enp7s0 configuration,
and leave only the bridge configuration on the host.

Paul