[arch-general] creating an archlinux usb key with persistence

Mark Lee mark at markelee.com
Thu Mar 13 03:59:34 EDT 2014

Salutations,

While I don't know of any specific instructions on the Arch wiki, you can
install Arch Linux onto a usb stick like a regular {H,S}DD. In my case, I
made three partitions. The first was an NTFS partition for using the usb
stick as a data transferring device; the second was a FAT32 boot partition
(for EFI and Syslinux booting); the third was a BTRFS root partition (with
transparent LZO compression enabled to reduce read/write). In addition, I
use a script to place certain directories (mostly $HOME directories in my
case) in a tmpfs partition (I just link them to /tmp) to decrease the
effect of USB writes on the system. My script syncs the tmpfs directores to
disk every 5 minutes. Since it's a full Arch Linux system, it upgrades and
evolves like any other Arch system.

Regards,
Mark