[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Trimming down our default kernel configuration

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 18:53:43 EDT 2014

On 26/03/14 02:56 PM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> it won't be too long until 3.14 is out and I want to address a topic
> that has been bugging me for a while. Our kernel includes everything and
> the kitchensink. I have no problem with delivering drivers that can be
> built modular, but there are other things that have an unknown impact on
> everyone.
>
> I want to trim our kernel down to what we actually support.

I think we should drop x32 support if no one is planning on packaging
the minimum of a compiler and standard C library. It's cool, but no one
appears to be very interested in using it in the real world. You would
probably get bigger wins from recompiling with -march=native, so I
somewhat doubt that anyone grasping for the last bit of performance will
use our binaries anyway.

This was already responsible for a security vulnerability in Arch:

http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q1/187