[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Trimming down our default kernel configuration

Peter Baldridge petebaldridge at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 17:19:28 EDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Kevin Ott
> This seems like it doesn't exactly fit with the Arch Way though. Arch is
> supposed to be simple and minimal. Why should the default be "add all
> the features" for a distribution that is partially based on being minimal
> and lightweight?
>
> I guess I just don't see the reason for adding in feature by default that
> so few people will actually use. And the people who will be using it
> should have the knowledge and ability  to build their own kernel that will
> have those features enabled.

I thought part of 'minimal' meant that the packages were as stock as
possible.  I was under the impression that we shipped minimally
altered packages and it was up to the administrator to perfect each
package to her liking.

I thought we only make a few little patches to the default kernel in
the repo and anyone who wants to strip drivers and use BFS is welcome
to do so through the AUR and/or ABS.

I don't really use stock kernel so it doesn't matter to me, but for
point of reference, (and please correct me if I'm wrong here) I
thought default in the repos was the generally accepted Arch Way.

--
Pete