[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Trimming down our default kernel configuration

Kevin Ott supercodingmonkey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 13:11:24 EDT 2014

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 04:45:24 PM Arthur Țițeică wrote:
> My opinion on this is that the kernel should be the ground on which
> userspace should always work.
>
> Features should be taken out with bug reports demonstrating
breakage in
> general usage, slowdowns or security risks.
>
> Another important point of view should be the maintenance required to
> support these seldom used features and I have nothing to comment
on this.

> Specifically regarding slowdowns, my layman opinion on this is that
they are
> meaningless in the general usage of the -ARCH kernel.
>
> If taking out theoretically useful features out of the kernel means that
in
> the end we gain 2 Mb of free memory or Apache is able to sustain
10500
> connections instead of 10000 I personally don't see it as good
bargain.

This seems like it doesn't exactly fit with the Arch Way though. Arch is
supposed to be simple and minimal. Why should the default be "add all
the features" for a distribution that is partially based on being minimal
and lightweight?

I guess I just don't see the reason for adding in feature by default that
so few people will actually use. And the people who will be using it
should have the knowledge and ability  to build their own kernel that will
have those features enabled.