[arch-general] Fwd: Installing Archlinux alongside Ubuntu on a Windows 8 UEFI laptop

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Thu May 1 18:50:00 EDT 2014

On 01/05/14 06:40 PM, Alan E. Davis wrote:
> Hello:
>
> The BIOS_GRUB partition was installed by Ubuntu, I think, without any help
> from me.
>
> I am trying to understand the next step.
>
> I have to reboot into that Arch install, and walk back through it.  When I
> get to the point of needing a boot manager, I will install gummiboot.  Give
> it a try.  Thank you.
>
> Alan

All you need is to mount the ESP as /boot (and make sure it continues to
be mounted that way via fstab) and pacman -S gummiboot && gummiboot
install. You don't need to worry about mounting anything else or deal
with EFI entries. Installing gummiboot will take care of setting it up
as the fallback loader along with making an entry if it can (but it's
not required).