[arch-general] Is ATI more... "compatible"?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sun May 4 06:23:24 EDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-05-04 at 12:06 +0200, Karol Babioch wrote:
> Am 03.05.2014 19:57, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> > NVIDIA's proprietary driver support is better.
>
> I can't attest to whether or not it is better, because I haven't touched
> ATI graphic cards for quite a while, but in my experience NVIDIA's
> proprietary driver sucks big time. Last time I checked it didn't support
> KMS natively and broke all sorts of stuff (e.g. terminals, resolution).
>
> I've got a much smoother experience with nouveau, although it obviously
> isn't as great as the proprietary one in terms of power management (e.g.
> battery life) and performance.

Hi,

as I already said, since I use linux-rt I prefer nouveau too. Using the
proprietary driver with linux-rt became impossible for me, while I'm
aware about the workarounds. However, I never was able to get the
proprietary driver working for my ATI card, for what kernel ever, but
with older linux-rt and always with vanilla linux the NVIDI proprietary
worked like a charm. When nouveau was introduced, it didn't work for my
card, it still didn't work when nv already was dropped. Last time I used
it, nouveau was very pleasant. At the moment I'm using the ATI.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep Driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        Driver      "radeon"
        #Driver	    "nvidia"
	#Driver	    "nv"