[arch-general] Installing Archlinux alongside Ubuntu on aWindows8 UEFI laptop

Daniel Meer meerdan2 at gmail.com
Sun May 4 12:52:22 EDT 2014

On 05/03/2014 04:55 PM, Delcypher wrote:
> On 3 May 2014 05:53, Alan E. Davis <lngndvs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have installed Archlinux on a partition, with a home partition.  I just
>> cannot boot into it.  I was able to boot into the USB flash drive.  I never
>> saw any messages about UEFI or legacy.
> The USB image supports legacy and UEFI boot.  I'm not 100% sure if
> this is a reliable method but when I boot up via legacy the
> /sys/firmware/efi folder does not exist but when I boot via UEFI the
> folder does exist.
> There is probably a way on your machine to disable legacy boot and
> also select to boot from USB when legacy boot is disabled.

When I installed Arch alongside Windows 8, I had the same problem that
it didn't offer me a UEFI boot option. I think I had to disable CSM
(Compatibility Support Module) in my BIOS settings. After that, it
worked perfectly.

It will probably not be the same for you, since I have an Asus BIOS. But
the option was about some "non-UEFI driver add-on devices". Hope that helps.