[arch-general] How to disable systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Thu May 8 15:32:35 EDT 2014

On 08/05/14 11:44 AM, LANGLOIS Olivier PIS -EXT wrote:
> [...]

Several of the Arch developers are systemd developers, so it's not like
you're talking about a group of outsiders here. The /tmp cleaning
doesn't delete recently touched files (10 days), so perhaps you've never
noticed it before.

Use your home directory. /tmp is a dangerous place since it's a shared,
world-writable ephemeral directory. The only things that are stored
there are temporary files used by currently open applications. In most
cases, $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is a better choice (sockets, fifos, etc.).

> I understand that for some sysadmins it might be convenient to have an automatic cleanup but IMHO they should explicitly set it up. I am not too sure that this is a good default behavior.

It's good default behaviour, as long as you aren't abusing /tmp for
stuff it's not meant for.

> That being said, I'll try to mask the service. Thank you very much for your replies.

You can override the /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/tmp.conf file in
/etc/tmpfiles.d and get rid of the cleaning.