[arch-general] How to disable systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer

LANGLOIS Olivier PIS -EXT olivier.pis.langlois at transport.alstom.com
Thu May 8 11:44:51 EDT 2014

I agree to not start a flamewar but hopefully systemd devs do not consider their SW as perfect and are looking to improve it by taking into consideration the userbase complains about it.

Maybe automatic /tmp cleaning was there since the beginning but it appears that it never worked on my systems until very recently after using ArchLinux for over 2 years.

I was forecasting that this comment would come when I wrote the original request. While I agree with what you say, I think that it is reasonable to let the user have the control over when it is cleaned. Without denaturing the /tmp folder, I'm using it to experiment patches on some packages or launch computation and store results into /tmp to return back at them the next morning. I have been a bit shocked to find out one morning that my files have been deleted by my system. IMHO, this goes against the rule of least surprise which is a pillar of the unix philosophy.

I understand that for some sysadmins it might be convenient to have an automatic cleanup but IMHO they should explicitly set it up. I am not too sure that this is a good default behavior.

That being said, I'll try to mask the service. Thank you very much for your replies.

Greetings,
Olivier

Please ignore the confidentiality notice below.
It is automatically added without my consent.

CONFIDENTIALITY : This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.