[arch-general] How to disable systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Thu May 8 17:22:18 EDT 2014

On 08/05/14 05:10 PM, Christos Nouskas wrote:
>> I guess you'll be upset that Tom (one of the Arch developers) wrote
>> systemd-networkd.
>
> You guess wrong.

So you're okay with it providing networking, but not timer units? Timer
units were a very simple addition on top of the existing event loop,
while networkd is a significant project.

>> You'll probably also be upset that there's going to be
>> a simple systemd-console from the kmscon developer (who is an Arch user)
>> and a systemd-timesyncd for basic NTP clients not needing a full blown
>> server with complicated RTC handling.
>
> Again wrong. Unless they're enabled by default.

The systemd console would replace the virtual terminals provided by the
kernel. The NTP client might make sense as something enabled by default,
although I don't know if it's planned to be.

>> Everyone else will continue on with their lives, because they realize
>> that there's nothing wrong with maintaining more than one binary/library
>> under one version control repository.
>
> Don't escalate and don't make it personal. You're just guessing wrong;
> I don't mind running systemd, unless it decides what's best for me
> without asking me. Clearing /tmp is one of those annoying things.

I'm don't see how I'm making it personal with a bit of sarcasm.

You already made it quite personal by promoting FUD with gems like this:

> systemd's team is noticeably chauvinistic

Do you think Tom and Dave are chauvanistic? Or did you not really read
what you linked to?

> I've also been annoyed by the fact that I have a PC that won't boot
> with systemd>198-2, because systemd can't mount /usr/local (which is
> empty).

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

> On the other hand I do love the _netdev & x-systemd.automount
> directives in /etc/fstab.
>
>> This is a rant against the Arch devs and the Arch community.
>
> Wrong yet again. It isn't. I didn't say "The Arch and systemd devs are
> this and that", I just pointed out some facts about *systemd* that I
> find annoying and this has nothing to do with the developers
> themselves, for crying out loud! Are you suggesting people should just
> shut up and never voice an unfavourable opinion? Or you'd rather
> prefer a court of flatterers praising how perfect this world is?

No, I'm asking you to stop spreading misinformation and attacks on the
developers behind the project (who also develop Arch Linux). If you
interrupt a constructive thread with FUD, you can expect to be called out.

>> Several of
>> the developers and several people involved with the community are
>> systemd developers, and there is certainly consensus among the Arch
>> developers and trusted users to use systemd.
>
> Which makes systemd perfect how exactly?

No one said it's perfect.