[arch-general] NTP: Possible permissions bug

Kyle Terrien kyleterrien at gmail.com
Fri May 9 11:47:26 EDT 2014

On 05/08/2014 06:34 PM, Kyle Terrien wrote:
> Hi fellow Archers,
>
> I seem to be having trouble with ntpd.service since the 4.2.7 upgrade. I
> can't get ntpd to run as the ntp user.

Well, I feel dumb.

After adding a couple more -d flags to ntpd, I got something about
unable to lookup hostnames.

I was using an old hpHosts /etc/hosts file (to block ads). I reverted it
to the stock /etc/hosts file in the package filesystem, and ntp-4.2.7
runs without thrashing.

I'm re-enabling Adblock Plus for now--until I get around to creating an
updated hosts table.

I'm still unsure why hostnames resolved for root, but not for the ntp
user. Could the hosts file have been too large for ntpd (6.4 MB)?

--Kyle