[arch-general] linux-3.14.3-1 and FAT32 /boot partition mount fail

David Moore davidm at sjsoft.com
Mon May 12 04:39:32 EDT 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Hello,
>
> After Linux kernel update my system can't boot properly because of
> this
> error:
> > [FAILED] Failed to mount /boot
>
> Although it gives me opportunity to login as root.
> When I try to mount it manually:
> > mount: unknown filesystem type 'vfat'
>
> Kernel downgrade to 3.14.2-1 resolved this. So, did I miss something
> or
> it's a bug?
> I have to use FAT32 for /boot because I have that UEFI thing.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> *GPG Key ID:* D782DAB8

Hi,

I had this exact issue - I thought I had done something wrong.  I booted into a live distro, chrooted to my root partition, mounted all the normal partitions, reinstalled the latest kernel package and it all started working again.  I still have no idea what went wrong - the initrd image as originally built did not recognize vfat or xfs, but did recognize btrfs, and that was true for the fallback image as well.

regards,

--
David Moore
Senior Software Engineer