[arch-general] linux-3.14.3-1 and FAT32 /boot partition mount fail

WorMzy Tykashi wormzy.tykashi at gmail.com
Mon May 12 06:18:24 EDT 2014

On 12 May 2014 09:22, Andrey Mivrenik <myvrenik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After Linux kernel update my system can't boot properly because of this
> error:
>> [FAILED] Failed to mount /boot
>
> Although it gives me opportunity to login as root.
> When I try to mount it manually:
>> mount: unknown filesystem type 'vfat'
>
> Kernel downgrade to 3.14.2-1 resolved this. So, did I miss something or
> it's a bug?
> I have to use FAT32 for /boot because I have that UEFI thing.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> *GPG Key ID:* D782DAB8

This is a frequent problem on UEFI systems that aren't set up
correctly. The kernel you're booting with doesn't match the modules
installed to /usr, because the kernel your boot manager is loading is
an older one. The new kernel was installed elsewhere, and wasn't
copied to the correct location.

Check your fstab and see where you're mounting your ESP. Remember that
the linux package installs the kernel to /boot/vmlinuz-linux.

If /boot is your ESP, check where your boot manager loads the kernel from.

If your boot manager uses an absolute path, remember that / (or \)
will be the root of the ESP, not your arch partition.

Here's the latest thread that I've seen:

I'm sure plenty more would turn up in a forum search though.

Cheers,

WorMzy