[arch-general] Where's my locale gone?

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 16:39:37 UTC 2014

On 03-11-2014 16:07, Paul Gideon Dann wrote:
> I'd forgotten about this, although I mentioned it a few posts back:
>
> # locale
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
> LANG=en-GB.utf8
> LC_CTYPE="en-GB.utf8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en-GB.utf8"
> LC_TIME="en-GB.utf8"
> LC_COLLATE="en-GB.utf8"
> LC_MONETARY="en-GB.utf8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en-GB.utf8"
> LC_PAPER="en-GB.utf8"
> LC_NAME="en-GB.utf8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en-GB.utf8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en-GB.utf8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en-GB.utf8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en-GB.utf8"
> LC_ALL=
>
> Looks like there are still locale issues...
>
> Paul

This is what I have/get:

# locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=pt_PT.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=pt_PT.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=pt_PT.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=pt_PT.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=pt_PT.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

I do have all of these explicitly set in /etc/locale.conf, exactly like
shown on the output of locale (except LC_ALL).

As a last resort shot in the dark I would try changing en-GB.utf8 to
whatever 'locale -a' outputs. The output of 'locale -a' should include
the locale you want, if it doesn't then you have to double check
/etc/locale.gen and rerun locale-gen.

Another shot in the dark, try with a new user and set the shell to bash,
just to add another data point and dismiss anything weird going on with
the shell you are using.

No more ideas here. This is most probably caused by something you might
have changed, the trouble is always finding what.

--
Mauro Santos