[arch-general] Where's my locale gone?

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 16:46:19 UTC 2014

On 3 November 2014 16:24, Mateus Rodrigues Costa <charles.costar at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Em Mon Nov 03 2014 at 14:08:11, Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie at gmail.com>
> escreveu:
> >
> > I'd forgotten about this, although I mentioned it a few posts back:
> >
> > # locale
> > locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> > locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
> directory
> > locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
> > LANG=en-GB.utf8
> > LC_CTYPE="en-GB.utf8"
> > LC_NUMERIC="en-GB.utf8"
> > LC_TIME="en-GB.utf8"
> > LC_COLLATE="en-GB.utf8"
> > LC_MONETARY="en-GB.utf8"
> > LC_MESSAGES="en-GB.utf8"
> > LC_PAPER="en-GB.utf8"
> > LC_NAME="en-GB.utf8"
> > LC_ADDRESS="en-GB.utf8"
> > LC_TELEPHONE="en-GB.utf8"
> > LC_MEASUREMENT="en-GB.utf8"
> > LC_IDENTIFICATION="en-GB.utf8"
> > LC_ALL=
> >
> > Looks like there are still locale issues...
> >
> > Paul
> >

> Looks like it wants some unavailable locales. Is the en_US.utf8 locale
> available? Also shouldn't it be "en_GB" instead of "en-GB"?

Yes! Right on the money. I don't know when locale became more fussy, but
fixing that dash to an underscore fixes the issue with locale:

# locale
LANG=en_GB.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.utf8"
LC_ALL=

...and after restarting my X session, the rendering issues have gone away.

*Thanks* everyone involved. I guess the system had been tolerating that
incorrect LANG setting in /etc/locale.conf for some time, and an update
finally triggered the issue. I definitely didn't touch the file, so I guess
some code somewhere decided to be less tolerant. Ultimately my own fault,
of course! I'm pretty embarrassed that I hadn't checked it carefully enough!

Thanks again to all!

Paul