[arch-general] python mysql bindings.

Felix Yan felixonmars at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 12:47:45 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, November 04, 2014 10:27:16 Eduardo Machado wrote:
> At this new website, the author states that the package is a legacy version
> (the source used in the Arch[1]), and the new one was renamed to "moist"
> and has a new source [4].
>
> So, i ask if this is a case of outdated package or it can be considered
> updated, although it's a legacy version?

The MySQLdb1 tree is still maintained and needed by packages like mythtv and
pyrss, etc.

On the other hand, "moist" is designed to be a drop-in replacement of mysqldb
but as its author states, "moist is not yet ready for prime-time, and there
are likely to be some large structural changes in the near future", I don't
think it a good idea to replace mysqldb with it at the moment.

> And i would like to know if some TU has interest to provide the new one, if
> not, i will gladly create an AUR package.

Feel free to create a package for it, though I don't think it will be in
[community] anytime soon, since its last commit was in 2012 (quite dead...),
and popular packages should be in the AUR already :)

Regards,
Felix Yan