[arch-general] packages and configuration required to send e-mails from php.

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Fri Oct 10 08:47:55 UTC 2014

On 10.10.2014 06:51, Jens Adam wrote:
> The easiest route would probably mean to install a minimal MTA providing
> /usr/bin/sendmail, like 'msmtp-mta' or 'nullmailer'

msmtp-mta simply provides a symlink from sendmail to msmtp. I believe
msmtp doesn't do queueing on it's own (there's msmtpq, but that's not
what the symlink points to) so unless you want to loose mail if your
mailserver is temporarily overloaded, the network is down or something
else is broken you shouldn't use it.

That said msmtp is fine for "interactive" use.

nullmailer seems to do queuing, but it doesn't seem to support bouncing
when errors occur (TODO says "Generate bounces for permanently failed
messages" for years now) so might not be that good a choice.

Just learn and use postfix. Might take a while at first, but it supports
all use cases and is well maintained.