[arch-general] Building in docker?

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Thu Sep 4 15:52:57 EDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 07:24:36AM +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
> As always complex doesn't automatically translate to complicated ;)
>
> In this particular case I had no issues with following the
> instructions I found on docker.  While when spending the same amount
> of time on getting lxc to work I get stuck almost immediately:
>
> ~~~~
> % lxc-create -n test -t archlinux
> lxc_container: No mapping for container root
> lxc_container: Error chowning /home/magnus/.local/share/lxc/test/rootfs to container root
> lxc_container: Error creating backing store type (none) for test
> lxc_container: Error creating container test
> ~~~~
>
> And quick googling didn't turn up anything useful.  Reading through
> the Linux Containers page [1] didn't help either.

No, this will not work because lxc-create needs root privileges for a variety
of things. You'll need to have user_ns enabled in the kernel to accomplish this
as a normal user. Note, that docker is not much better, it's just uses a
privileged daemon to do things.

IIRC, currently running lxc-* as a normal user will work out-of-the-box only on
an Ubuntu 14.04 host.

Cheers,
--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4