[arch-general] Location of the pacman database

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Mon Sep 15 13:30:00 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 08:28:22AM +0200, Tobias Hunger wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2014 1:56 AM, "Leonid Isaev" <lisaev at umail.iu.edu> wrote:
> > systemd's factory reset and atomic upgrades were explicitly stated to be
> useful
> > only in special situations, like embedded systems. Just because Archlinux
> > systemd package enables them doesn't mean that the entire distribution
> should
> > be change around.
>
> Yes, these are features for special use cases, I am not arguing that.
>
> I would still like these features to be easy to implement on Arch, provided
> the required changes do not harm the traditional setups.
>
> > Implementation is easy, support in all usecases is hard. I mean,
> Archlinux is
> > not CoreOS...
>
> I do not think the changes in my bug report carry a support overhead.

My only point is that moving pacman DB around is the least difficult thing to
deal with when it comes to bringing factory-reset and friends to Archlinux.

I don't object to this move by itself, but the motivation seems ill-defined to
me. Moreover, reshuffling things around will break lots of scripts our there
that expect /var/lib/pacman/local to be populated...

Cheers,
--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4