[arch-general] Xorg hangs with nouveau

Xandaros Yotanido mz.bremerhaven at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 12:47:49 EDT 2014

I initially used the proprietary nvidia drivers, but one of my favourite
games, Wurm Online, used to crash very often when switching workspaces.
Since I use a tiling window manager, that was not exactly ideal.
I subsequently switched to nouveau, since the crash logs suggested that the
nvidia drivers were at fault and indeed, no more crashes - so far so good.

However, every now and then, Xorg decides to hang, which usually results in
me doing a hard reset. So far, this has only happened when playing said
game. While I would gladly blame it on the game, it should not be able to
cause such issues and it is running fine for a friend of mine, also running
nouveau.

I actually managed to get Xorg to crash, I have attached the coredump. I
tried looking at it with gdb (I compiled Xorg with debug symbols), but
could not make sense of it.
I also attached the xorg log that (I hope) belongs to the dump.

I hope you can help me resolve this issue. It might be a bug of nouveau,
but since the proprietary drivers also had issues, I suspect more. (Maybe
my card is damaged?)

Output of "lspci | grep VGA":
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 [GeForce GTX
650 Ti] (rev a1)

I'm using up-to-date arch linux at the time of writing this Email on a
x86_64 architecture. I am using a self-compiled version of Xorg to include
debug symbols, no other changes (Was also happening with the Xorg version
in the repo) and I'm using i3 as window manager, in case that is relevant.