[arch-general] mkinitcpio debugging with systemd

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 03:20:23 EDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:38 AM, Tobias Hunger <tobias.hunger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am running a initrd make with mkinitcpio using the "systemd" hook.
>
> This works great in general, but after a bit of playing with the hooks
> and systemd code the generated initrd will no longer start. That is no
> big deal and entirely my fault and I should be able to fix it. My
> problem is now that I can not really debug the initrd anymore.
>
> Is there a way to get a debug shell on the initrd when using the
> systemd hook? Any hints would be greatly appreciated:-)
>
> Best Regards,
> Tobias

Thanks for the pointer. I just removed the init= setting from
/etc/default/grub and added the systemd hook to mkinitcpio.conf.
I generated both the bootloader config and the initcpio.
However, I still wonder, because my machine boots just fine this way.
Thinking more closely about the issue as you present it, usually, if
things go wrong in the inticpio stage you get thrown to a shell to fix
stuff manually. As it does not looks like this seems to be the case,
your new_root appears to get mounted and the issue appears to be
somewhere else... You also did not provide any error message or other
pointer which would lead us to the source of your problem, and I think
you should add anything you have (eg. remove the "quiet" boot option).

cheers!
mar77i