[arch-general] Little automation to install

Doug Newgard scimmia at archlinux.info
Thu Apr 2 04:28:42 UTC 2015

On Wed, 1 Apr 2015 14:46:48 -0300
Bráulio Bhavamitra <braulio at eita.org.br> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 2:00 PM, Mark Lee <mark at markelee.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, April 01, 2015 01:53:57 PM Bráulio Bhavamitra wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > After some many years, I'm back to ArchLinux. One thing that took
> > > me time was to read the manuals and run all the commands for
> > > installation.
> > >
> > > That made me wonder on how automation might help things get
> > > easier and faster on install. Could you please tell the current
> > > works on that?
> > >
> > > The result of my work was this script:
> > >
> > https://github.com/brauliobo/gitconfig/blob/master/histories/archinstall.sh
> > >
> > > cheers,
> > > bráulio
> >
> > To Barulio,
> >
> > Interesting; but Arch is insistent on KISS for the system as a
> > priority. Your
> > script seems to specific to a particular wireless module (ath9k)
> > and still requires some user interactions judging from your use of
> > "nano".
> >
> About KISS, as I said it took some time and learning for me to
> understand and run commands, because there are MANY SIMPLE commands
> and configurations. Some automation would make it more KISS.

That depends on how you define KISS. It could make it more simple for
the user, but it makes the system more complex. If it's something that
needs to be done exactly the same way over and over, a script makes
sense (arch-chroot is a good example). For something that will vary
from system to system and configuration to configuration, automation
just gets in the way.

Doug