[arch-general] Little automation to install

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Wed Apr 1 17:48:19 UTC 2015

On 01.04.2015 18:53, Bráulio Bhavamitra wrote:
> That made me wonder on how automation might help things get easier and
> faster on install. Could you please tell the current works on that?

You should really only have to install once per machine and knowing what
happens during installation teaches you how your system works therefore
making debugging and extending the system easier. That's also why you
can then fix problems rather than being forced to reinstall.

If you install more often you can simply write down all the steps you do
and you get yourself an install script like this[1]. It's highly
specific to my use case, but it's really not too hard to create your
own. (I've mainly linked this because your script needs user
intervention while running and mine doesn't)

[1] https://git.server-speed.net/users/flo/bin/tree/setup-arch-vm

There might be people that find a manual setup complicated and useless,
but then again reinstalling because something is broken also costs quite
some time (you gotta copy all your data back, set everything up again,
...) and it will likely not be exactly the same as before.

Reminds me of people getting non-stick pans and then failing horribly
down the line because they have no idea what they are doing once the
coating wears off.

The learning experience is all worth it IMHO, but feel free to disagree
and help those who are writing GUI installers. Just remember there are
two sides to a coin.