[arch-general] Little automation to install

Troy Engel troyengel+arch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 20:49:19 UTC 2015

> After some many years, I'm back to ArchLinux. One thing that took me time
> was to read the manuals and run all the commands for installation.

Hi! Like everyone else, I'll share my automation -- I target only MATE
but it's not hard to change, everything is built to be modular and
built to gracefully fail and pick back up. It supports BIOS and UEFI,
Virtualbox host and guest.

 https://github.com/troyengel/scripts/blob/master/archmate.sh

As all packages are in variables it becomes pretty easy to maintain
and tweak once you get a baseline that you're happy with. I've used it
primarily on Dell devices (multiple laptops and desktops) and as a
Virtualbox guest, all using the standard video modules and no custom
ATI/Nvidia/etc. It's a very quick way to help someone get an Arch
install up and running without having to invest a lot of time.

Hope this helps! Please note that I do a few things you may not like
-- for instance I disable the kernel config that prevents strace from
attaching to other PIDs, disabling coredumps to the journal and other
minor tweaks to change things that annoy me. Please review the code
completely before just running it. :)

-te