[arch-general] Add wpa_supplicant to the Group 'Base'

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 18:39:57 UTC 2015

> People forget vi(1) is part of POSIX so required on "systems that both
> support the User Portability Utilities option and define the
> POSIX2_CHAR_TERM symbol."  [http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/
> ]
>
> The former is probably a good idea, seeing as the User Portability
> Utilities option in POSIX is written to be: "a requirement for a user
> portability interactive system. It is required frequently except for those
> systems, such as embedded realtime or dedicated application systems, that
> support little or no interactive time-sharing work by users or operators"
>
> The latter is defined to mean that at least one terminal type has all user
> control options.
>
> Unless Arch Linux wants to be deliberately non-POSIX compatible, vi should
> be in base.

The Linux kernel, glibc and various GNU utilities already deliberately
deviate from POSIX compatibility in many ways. I don't think it's a very
important consideration, just trivia.

It's great to have vim-minimal on the install media (which is now the
case), but that doesn't mean it needs to be in base.