[arch-general] Add wpa_supplicant to the Group 'Base'

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Tue Apr 28 19:04:17 UTC 2015

On 28-04-2015 20:39, Daniel Micay wrote:
>> People forget vi(1) is part of POSIX so required on "systems that both
>> support the User Portability Utilities option and define the
>> POSIX2_CHAR_TERM symbol."  [http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/
>> ]
>>
>> The former is probably a good idea, seeing as the User Portability
>> Utilities option in POSIX is written to be: "a requirement for a user
>> portability interactive system. It is required frequently except for those
>> systems, such as embedded realtime or dedicated application systems, that
>> support little or no interactive time-sharing work by users or operators"
>>
>> The latter is defined to mean that at least one terminal type has all user
>> control options.
>>
>> Unless Arch Linux wants to be deliberately non-POSIX compatible, vi should
>> be in base.
>
> The Linux kernel, glibc and various GNU utilities already deliberately
> deviate from POSIX compatibility in many ways. I don't think it's a very
> important consideration, just trivia.
>
> It's great to have vim-minimal on the install media (which is now the
> case), but that doesn't mean it needs to be in base.

Indeed, AFAICT the only important thing to consider here is whether the
booted system is "fixable" from within itself if you forgot to install
something during the boot from install media. (E.g. by forgetting to
install *some* editor or other. Everybody likes different editors, but
"nano" will do until you can install something better.)

Regards,