[arch-general] Add wpa_supplicant to the Group 'Base'

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Tue Apr 28 20:08:32 UTC 2015

On 28-04-2015 21:39, Guus Snijders wrote:

> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/
>>> It's great to have vim-minimal on the install media (which is now the
>>> case), but that doesn't mean it needs to be in base.
>>>

>> Indeed, AFAICT the only important thing to consider here is whether the
>> booted system is "fixable" from within itself if you forgot to install
>> something during the boot from install media. (E.g. by forgetting to
>> install *some* editor or other. Everybody likes different editors, but
>> "nano" will do until you can install something better.)
>
> A very nice thing about having vi installed by default, is that you don't
> have to think about which editors are available. It's a unix(y) system, so
> vi just works. No need to remember if it's nano/pico/whatever on this
> specific distro.
> It's easy enough to add one's favorite editor when installing.
>
> On Windows, for example, i assume notepad is available, Word etc are
> optional (though I usually keep (g)vim on systems I use often).

Oh, indeed, but frankly I never bothered learning vi beyond
"<ESCESCESCESC>:q!"[1], so I think an editor (like nano) that
displays the obvious commands should be kept as a part of a base install.

(I don't object to vi being installed by default, btw.)

[1] I like C-xC-s much better, because -- obviously -- it's objectively
better :p

Regards,