[arch-general] Post-packaging modification tool

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Apr 29 12:15:59 UTC 2015

On 28 April 2015 at 23:04, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 03:19:25PM -0500, Eli Schwartz wrote:

>> > A package is just a tar.xz, so you can simply unzip it, edit the .PKGINFO
>> > file, and zip it again. (I think)
>> >

>> Alternatively, if the PKGBUILD is updated makepkg has an option to
>> --repackage without redoing build()
>>
>> Editing .PKGINFO might be faster, but repackaging is the "correct" way to
>> do it, for however much that's worth.
>
> That might be the easiest way, unless someone's already written a tool
> that solves the problem.

Unfortunately `pacman -R` won't work.  It will re-run the `package()`
function in the PKGBUILD, meaning that it relies on the packaged SW's
build system (Makefile, or similar) to first install the built stuff
in `$pkgdir`.  Since I only have the packages I can't easily recreate
a complete `$srcdir` without first compiling... so I suppose I'll have
to look into the details of the package format and come up with some
script to modify it directly.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org