[arch-general] Anyone using virtualbox-5.0.0 yet?

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 23:03:04 UTC 2015

On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 17:59:11 -0700
walt <w41ter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Arch updated vbox to 5.0.0 on 22 July, so I'm wondering if anyone is
> actively using it, and if you've had any problems with it.
>
> I certainly had a catastrophic problem when I tried it on my everyday
> gentoo desktop machine recently.

(I'm replying to myself because this is for everyone in the thread)

Just as an experiment I decided to install the vbox-5.0.0 guest modules
in my Arch vbox guest while running vbox-4.3.30 on my host machine.
(Seems like a good recipe for disaster, but no :)

I installed virtualbox-guest-dkms-5.0.0-1 and used dkms to build and
install the modules.  (No errors, which amazed me because I build my own
kernels from kernel.org.)  I installed virtualbox-guest-utils-5.0.0-1
and enabled vboxservice with systemctl.

And it all just works.  I still can't quite believe it.  I expect it
will all be broken tomorrow morning when I wake up, but meanwhile I'm
liking Arch a lot ;)