[arch-general] debug package repositories again

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Thu Aug 13 00:02:34 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 12:36:22PM -0700, Joe Julian wrote:
> It's been hashed and rehashed, but I need to bring this up again. Every
> other popular distro has a way of debugging without completely rebuilding a
> package, saving countless combined hours.
>
> Why can't we just have a way of installing the symbols?

Not enough manpower...

> Allan has already added the features necessary to make this possible.
>
> Why is this so hard? What can I do to help make this a reality?

Well, there has to be a separate [debug] repo which (most importantly) must be
kept in-sync with the main ones, or more packages in current repos. Then,
someone has to actually build those packages.

I would personally prefer that most packages come with debugging enabled by
default. Surely, there will be a performance cost, but speed is not crucial in
most cases.

Cheers,
--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4