[arch-general] debug package repositories again

Evan Penner gryffyn at archlinux.net
Thu Aug 13 13:55:11 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Leonid Isaev <lisaev at umail.iu.edu> wrote:

> enabled

> > > There's no performance impact, just disk space and bandwidth.
> > >

> > Bandwidth is probably the main problem, although anyone who wants to
> debug
> > will probably be fine with that.
>
> I think you guys misunderstood me. The biggest problem IMHO with building
> debug
> versions locally is not compiling itself, but setting up the environment.
> So, I
> meant that packages come with debugging enabled (compiled with gcc -O0 -g
> and
> perhaps ./configure options). This way, there will be not many new
> packages.
>
> Of course, this is not a good idea for things like FF/Gnome/KDE because of
> slow-down, but a performance penalty for smaller programs like vim, links,
> XFCE4 etc. will not be noticeable (at least I don't see any for a
> self-compiled
> xfce4 desktop on a single-core Intel Atom based netbook).

Right, I got it now. So ideally, you'd want all packages to come with debug
flags enabled? I see how that would cause performance issues in larger
applications, I understand however the concern for those packages. The
problem is performance as you said. However, creating a new repository
would increase the Arch database by twofold. This is a concept the devs
will have to take a look at. For now, I guess, your only option is to
compile them yourself.