[arch-general] debug package repositories again

Joe Julian me at joejulian.name
Thu Aug 13 17:13:02 UTC 2015

On 08/13/2015 06:55 AM, Evan Penner wrote:

>> enabled

>>> Bandwidth is probably the main problem, although anyone who wants to
>> debug
>>> will probably be fine with that.
>> I think you guys misunderstood me. The biggest problem IMHO with building
>> debug
>> versions locally is not compiling itself, but setting up the environment.
>> So, I
>> meant that packages come with debugging enabled (compiled with gcc -O0 -g
>> and
>> perhaps ./configure options). This way, there will be not many new
>> packages.
>>
>> Of course, this is not a good idea for things like FF/Gnome/KDE because of
>> slow-down, but a performance penalty for smaller programs like vim, links,
>> XFCE4 etc. will not be noticeable (at least I don't see any for a
>> self-compiled
>> xfce4 desktop on a single-core Intel Atom based netbook).
>>
> Right, I got it now. So ideally, you'd want all packages to come with debug
> flags enabled? I see how that would cause performance issues in larger
> applications,

False, see my previous reply.

> I understand however the concern for those packages. The
> problem is performance as you said. However, creating a new repository
> would increase the Arch database by twofold.

False. Plus, the debug symbols *could* be in a separate package database
that would be manually enabled by the people with the skills to know how
to use them. People that actually use this distro professionally to
build some really cool stuff (plugging IO, my employer, here).