[arch-general] Realtek 8111/8168/8411 Blues - cannot get dhcpcd address (link UP)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Aug 21 00:00:37 UTC 2015

On 08/20/2015 06:42 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 08/20/2015 05:56 PM, Anatol Pomozov wrote:
>> Check this threadhttps://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=200514  is
>> it what you see?
>>
>> What happens if you downgrade to dhcpcd-6.9.0 ?
>
> I will check, but there is something not right going on. I did manage to get an
> inet address assigned by dhcpcd (for a minute) when I rebooted to box, pulled
> the CD out, let it boot to the point of "Install System Disk and Press Any Key",
> put the CD back in, and booted non UEFI mode.
>
> I was going to just assign a static address, but checked 'ifconfig' before
> disabling dhcpcd and BINGO there was a proper IPv4 address handed out by my
> dhcpd server (it handed out .166 which was correct, because it handed the broken
> box .165 an hour before)
>
> However, by the time I went to ping anything, or start sshd so I could ssh into
> the box, the connection went dead again (meaning 'ip link' still shows Status
> UP; if config still shows correct IP address, but any attempt to ping results
> in: network not found...)
>
> I'll read the thread and let you know if I found a solution. Any other thoughts,
> just let me know.

Anatol,

   The symptoms sound exactly what I'm experiencing with the Realtek NIC. 1 out
of 3 boots I have established a dhcpcd IPv4 address (on the r8169 module), but
then the connection dies. If this is related to what is happening in the thread,
then it is related to the Realtek hardware in my case. I can take the same
archlinux-2015.08.01-dual.iso CD pop it into my failed box with the MSI board
and get a reliable connection and address every time.

   I really don't know where to go from here. I've tried a static IP with both
the r8169 module and the r8168 module and the static IP can't ping the box 2
feet away. (It's not a network "unreachable" error, it's a no network/no
response error -- the system thinks it has a good config with address/subnet
broadcast and broadcast address -- and good default route)

   What else can I try when I'm limited to booting the install media?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.