[arch-general] SOLVED Re: Realtek 8111/8168/8411 Blues - cannot get dhcpcd address (link UP)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Aug 22 03:39:53 UTC 2015

On 08/21/2015 08:10 AM, LoneVVolf wrote:

> Blame Gigabyte, the only reason to disable IOMMU is if you run a 32-bit OS .
>
> On all x86_64 OSes running with IOMMU disabled will degrade graphics performance
> A LOT.
> As you found , disabling IOMMU also affects other hardware badly.
>
> TL;DR :
> 64-bit OS >>> ENABLE IOMMU
>

> Some links :
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOMMU
> http://developer.amd.com/community/blog/2008/09/01/iommu/
>
> Lone_Wolf

   Thanks, and yes, so I found out. It would really be helpful if motherboard
manuals were worth a crap anymore, but those days are long gone. The ONLY
description concerning IOMMU in the entire manual was:

<quote (page 49)>

IOMMU Controller
Enables or disables AMD IOMMU support. (Default: Disabled)

</quote>

   A lot of good that does to guide someone in its use. :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.