[arch-general] Realtek 8111/8168/8411 Blues - cannot get dhcpcd address (link UP)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Aug 24 21:56:30 UTC 2015

On 08/24/2015 01:26 PM, Aaron Laws wrote:
> Eek, sorry you're having so much trouble. I may have already said this, but
> I'll give it another go. I'm using the same board (GA-990FXA-UD3) with the
> same ethernet card. I decided the onboard NIC was trash, so I installed a
> PCI ethernet card, installed arch, and started using it. Later, I went back
> to troubleshoot the NIC, and found that if I sudo pacman -Syu r8168; echo
> 'blacklist r8169' > /etc/modprobe.d/r8169_blacklist.conf; reboot;
> everything went okay, and no need for PCI card.
>
> I'm afraid that beyond that, I don't think I can help.

You were a great help! What I learned is that board has gone through a lot of
changes (chipset, etc.) between Version 1.0 - 4.1 (I have Ver. 4.1). What is
needed to fix the issues differs depending on the chipset. Mine works fine with
the native r8169 driver as long as IOMMU is enable in the bios. I'll try
disabling in the kernel to kill the Page_Faults on boot.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.