[arch-general] Having trouble understanding UEFI booting

mick bareman at tpg.com.au
Thu Aug 27 02:17:11 UTC 2015

I've been trying to install archlinux on my Lenovo B50-70 laptop and got stuck installing grub boot loader inconjunction with UEFI.

Either I'm miss understanding the wiki pages on the subject and/or the wiki pages could do with a bit more clarity.

I'm dual booting arch and windows 8.1, previously I had ubuntu 14.04 but when I upgraded to 15.04 it got too messed up so I decided to bite the bullet and go with arch.

The disk is currently split into 11 partitions
part	size	code	name
1	1 gb	2700 	Basic data partion	windows or lenovo
2	260mb	EF00	EFI system partition
3	1 gb	ED01 	Basic data partion	windows or lenovo
4	128mb	0C01	Microsoft reserved
5	71gb	0700 	Basic data partion	windows system
6	25gb	0700	Basic data partion	windows or lenovo
7	14gb	2700 	Basic data partion	windows or lenovo
8	153gb	0700	                  	shared NTFS data partition
9	78gb	8304	                  	Linux / 'root' partition
10	9 gb	8200	                  	swap
11	108gb	8302	                  	/home

when installing I have only used partitions 9, 10 & 11. partitions 1 - 8 were on the disc from the windows pre-install and shrunk to make way for linux.

A recent operation is affecting my concentration and comprehension so be kind please.

mick