[arch-general] First try to go to KDE 5.5

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Dec 14 20:27:45 UTC 2015

Anatol Pomozov writes:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Manuel Reimer
> <Manuel.Spam at nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> today, I tried to update my laptop to KDE 5.5.
>>
>> The first problem, I've found, is, that it seems to be impossible to
>> configure SDDM. The option is there in "System Settings", but nothing opens.
>>
>> Then, I connected my TV screen to the HDMI port of my laptop and tried
>> dual-screen setup. At first this seemed to work well, but for some reason
>> *every* window now opens on my TV. The laptop screen was set to be default,
>> so this is not the reason.
>>
>> I configured the laptop screen to be turned off when the lid is closed. If I
>> do this, then the laptop screen keeps black if the lid is opened again. If I
>> lock the screen in this case and unlock after that, then the screen turns
>> on, but the taskbar seems to be crashed.
>>
>> This is just a short list of bugs, I found, before uninstalling Plasma 5.
>>
>> Does someone here have similar problems? As KDE 4 also had many bugs, I
>> learned to deal with, as they never got fixed, and KDE 5 doesn't seem to be
>> much better, I now give Gnome a try...
>
> Complaining about KDE bugs in Arch maillist is not best use of your
> time. If you really want to see the bugs fixed please work with KDE
> developers directly.

It might still be a good idea to just double check that one isn't
completely alone in seeing this sort of behaviour from official Arch
packages.

Of course, the OP didn't quite word it like that was the goal of the
email, so maybe I'm a bit too generous in my interpretation...

/M

--
Magnus Therning              OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have
C++ in mind.
     -- Alan Kay