[arch-general] [OT?] Which is most future-proof desktop environment?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Dec 30 12:15:40 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-12-30 at 04:49 -0700, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 11:57:48AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Xfce4
> >
> > After an update e.g. a small window title bar with a clean design,
> > became a fat thing with a Microsoft appeal.
>
> Wrong. It's not xfwm4, but the default gtk3 theme. Just use a gtk2
> xfwm4 theme and be happy :) Or better yet, recompile libxfce4ui w/o
> gtk3 support.

Zen{,x} are gtk2/gtk3 themes, however, I don't remember if the chosen
window bar belongs to the Zen{,x} themes, however, it was ok for years
and _within_ a major release it got broken.

>tiling WMs (i3, jwm)

JWM isn't a tiling WM, it's a stacking WM very close to openbox, with a
neutral, not blatant look. AFAIK it's the most lightweight WM. The look
is timeless nineties, not fashion flashy nineties. For serious work I
can't imagine any bad it could lead too, when being steady. The look is
not as blatant as Win 98, XT, Win 7 look, other than the window title
bar I got after the Xfce4 upgrade, it looks much like Windows.