[arch-general] [OT?] Which is most future-proof desktop environment?

Leonid 'Beef Marsala' Isaev leonid.isaev at jila.colorado.edu
Wed Dec 30 13:47:49 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 01:15:40PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Zen{,x} are gtk2/gtk3 themes, however, I don't remember if the chosen
> window bar belongs to the Zen{,x} themes, however, it was ok for years
> and _within_ a major release it got broken.

So, if you had a gtk2-only theme like Ops, then the update would have been
seamless...

> JWM isn't a tiling WM, it's a stacking WM very close to openbox, with a
> neutral, not blatant look. AFAIK it's the most lightweight WM. The look
> is timeless nineties, not fashion flashy nineties. For serious work I
> can't imagine any bad it could lead too, when being steady. The look is
> not as blatant as Win 98, XT, Win 7 look, other than the window title
> bar I got after the Xfce4 upgrade, it looks much like Windows.

Sorry, I meant stacking as well. And it's not about the looks (a good WM is
anyway customizable), but the internals. For example, what do you mean by
lightweigth? If it is something that uses system resources efficiently and
alows you to disable unnecessary bloat, then we agree. But this also implies
that you'd like to use graphics card to render windows, not CPU.

AFAIU, jwm et al. can't do that w/o a standalone compositor. So, if you compare
them to xfwm, bring xcompmgr or compton as well... otherwise the comparison is
not fair.

Cheers,
--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4