[arch-general] Fwd: Kernel panic - after upgrade

Csányi Pál csanyipal at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 18:27:57 UTC 2015

> On Mon, 2 Feb 2015 17:29:25 +0100, Csányi Pál wrote:
>> So I can tell that the RAM is all right on this desktop PC box, right?
>
> Most likely the main memory is _not_ defect. However, when passing the
> memtest it's without guarantee that the RAM is ok and if there would
> have been errors, it also wouldn't necessarily mean that the RAM is
> broken. Memtest isn't perfect. But since we are talking about "Voodoo",
> have you checked, if your power supply is able to handle the worst case
> scenario? Have you replaced the battery? Power supply and the battery
> unlikely are the culprits either, but both could cause "Voodoo" too.

I don't know how to check if my power supply is able to handle the
worst case scenario?

No, I haven't replaced the battery.

> Have you checked the homepage of your mobo regarding BIOS updates (or
> whatever the "BIOS" is called nowadays). Are there changelogs that
> ever mentioned Linux incompatibilities?

No, I did not checked that. I did not dare even to update the BIOS.

> The very last thing I would do, is to care about strange "Voodoo". I
> would test Arch's Linux LTS, downgrade systemd and similar.
>
> Most likely it's a user issue, or a complete incompatibility to Linux
> of some hardware component. I returned several times hardware that was
> mentioned by the vendors by Linux communities as Linux compatible and
> not seldom it put out, that there was one revision, chipset nobody cared
> about, neither the communities, nor the vendors or nobody did use all
> features of the hardware.

This hardware on which I'm running my Arch linux system I have used
since 3-4 years. During this time I did run on this hardware Debian
GNU/Linux SID, Arch linux, Parabolagnulinux and finally Arch linux
again. Wowever, so far I did not have any hardware issues, as far as I
know.

> Backup your current install and make a clean new install. Replace the
> default kernel with
> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/linux-lts/
> or with linux-rt-lts from the Arch Audio repository or from AUR, since
> it's 3.10..., don't worry about the Rt-patch, when instlling it just
> for testing purpose.

I shall do that. Thank you for your advices and support.

--
Regards from Pal