[arch-general] Fwd: Kernel panic - after upgrade

pete nikolic pg.nikolic1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 19:23:29 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2 Feb 2015 19:27:57 +0100
Csányi Pál <csanyipal at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Mon, 2 Feb 2015 17:29:25 +0100, Csányi Pál wrote:
> >> So I can tell that the RAM is all right on this desktop PC box, right?
> >
> > Most likely the main memory is _not_ defect. However, when passing the
> > memtest it's without guarantee that the RAM is ok and if there would
> > have been errors, it also wouldn't necessarily mean that the RAM is
> > broken. Memtest isn't perfect. But since we are talking about "Voodoo",
> > have you checked, if your power supply is able to handle the worst case
> > scenario? Have you replaced the battery? Power supply and the battery
> > unlikely are the culprits either, but both could cause "Voodoo" too.
>
> I don't know how to check if my power supply is able to handle the
> worst case scenario?
 Put your machine under heavy load and connect a digital volt meter to the +5 0v
 lines  ie Red and Black wires going to a floppy drive cable   then check the yellow
 and black  12 volts   if they vary too much under load but recover when load is
 removed  the the PSU is not big enough   .

> No, I haven't replaced the battery.
>
> > Have you checked the homepage of your mobo regarding BIOS updates (or
> > whatever the "BIOS" is called nowadays). Are there changelogs that
> > ever mentioned Linux incompatibilities?
>
> No, I did not checked that. I did not dare even to update the BIOS.
>
> > The very last thing I would do, is to care about strange "Voodoo". I
> > would test Arch's Linux LTS, downgrade systemd and similar.
> >
> > Most likely it's a user issue, or a complete incompatibility to Linux
> > of some hardware component. I returned several times hardware that was
> > mentioned by the vendors by Linux communities as Linux compatible and
> > not seldom it put out, that there was one revision, chipset nobody cared
> > about, neither the communities, nor the vendors or nobody did use all
> > features of the hardware.
>
> This hardware on which I'm running my Arch linux system I have used
> since 3-4 years. During this time I did run on this hardware Debian
> GNU/Linux SID, Arch linux, Parabolagnulinux and finally Arch linux
> again. Wowever, so far I did not have any hardware issues, as far as I
> know.
>
> > Backup your current install and make a clean new install. Replace the
> > default kernel with
> > https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/linux-lts/
> > or with linux-rt-lts from the Arch Audio repository or from AUR, since
> > it's 3.10..., don't worry about the Rt-patch, when instlling it just
> > for testing purpose.
>
> I shall do that. Thank you for your advices and support.

Pete .

--
Illegitimi non carborundum . ro for the purists out there
Noli nothis permittere te terere.