[arch-general] [extra] package depending on [community] package

WorMzy Tykashi wormzy.tykashi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 10:53:57 UTC 2015

On 11 February 2015 at 03:39, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wasn't there a guideline somewhere against this? Should I raise bugs
> when I see this is taking place?
>
> Specific example that I just noticed is mpd, because libnfs in
> community updated. Of course, mpd was updated within 12 hours or so,
> and I understand packages are mostly best maintained by those who
> actually know/care about the project, hence I just want to ask the
> question, is this considered a bug or not?

It seems to be an increasingly common occurrence -- the latest
integrity check[1] reported 50 x86_64 extra/ packages that depend on
community packages, whereas a year ago the same check found only
29[2].

I *think* the general rule is that core/ can depend on extra/, and
extra/ can depend on community/, but core/ cannot depend on
community/. I could only find one post supporting this theory,
however. [3]

[1] https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2015-February/026973.html
[2] https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2014-February/025862.html
[3] https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2011-May/020396.html