[arch-general] [extra] package depending on [community] package

Marko Hauptvogel marko.hauptvogel at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 12 13:48:32 UTC 2015

We are talking about runtime dependencies here, not build or test. core/
should be selfcontained, packages in core/ only depend on other core/
packages. All packages can depend on /core since its considered mandatory.
Hence the name, you can run arch with just this repo. extra/ is maintained
by arch devs and contains additional software that is "considered crucial
to the distribution." [1] /community is maintained by TUs and contains even
more additional but not-so-crucial software. And AUR is the free-for-all
for everything else. Only AUR packages can depend in AUR packages, nothing
else. /extra and /community are both considered safe and cross-dependencies
should be fine, but imho /extra shouldn't depend on /community. But this
would mean that our beloved arch devs will have to adopt every single
dependency (which sounds like quite a bit of additional work), or to
disable certain features to prevent such dependencies. There is afaik no
rule that prevents /extra packages from depending on /community, but the
number should be kept small.

[1] <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_repositories#community>
https <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_repositories#community>
:// <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_repositories#community>