[arch-general] PKGBUILD: replaces array in split packages

Jakub Klinkovský j.l.k at gmx.com
Fri Feb 13 23:21:15 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm writing a script [1] to update package links on ArchWiki. The script
also gives hints on broken/outdated package, e.g. for 'mesa-dri` the hint is
"replaced by 'mesa'" (with an appropriate link to the 'mesa' package). I've
chosen to only look into the 'replaces' array of the packages, because unlike
'provides', a package can be replaced only by one other package, whereas
multiple packages can "provide" the same package.

Or at least I thought so - it appears that both qemu and libcacard have qemu-kvm
in their 'replaces' array. In this case, it's because qemu is a split package
(qemu + libcacard) and the replaces array is defined globally in the PKGBUILD,
not per-package.

Is this a bug or was my assumption about the 'replaces' array wrong? How would
pacman handle the situation where qemu-kvm is supposed to be replaced by
libcacard and/or qemu?

Thanks for answers,
Jakub Klinkovský (Lahwaacz)

[1]: https://github.com/lahwaacz/wiki-scripts/blob/master/update-package-templates.py