[arch-general] PKGBUILD: replaces array in split packages

Troy Engel troyengel+arch at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 01:40:25 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 5:21 PM, Jakub Klinkovský <j.l.k at gmx.com> wrote:

> Or at least I thought so - it appears that both qemu and libcacard have qemu-kvm
> in their 'replaces' array. In this case, it's because qemu is a split package
> (qemu + libcacard) and the replaces array is defined globally in the PKGBUILD,
> not per-package.

I am not familiar with qemu, however it appears to be a packaging bug
in qemu. The qemu package does not depend on libcacard, and libcacard
does not depend on qemu; based on the readme[1] it sure looks like
this just happens to be another library developed by the same team
which can be used with qemu for added features.

Looking at the qemu PKGBUILD, it seems like that replaces('qemu-kvm')
belongs in package_qemu() and not in the global definition. The
replaces() was added in the commit going from 1.2.x to 1.3.x when the
package was not split:

  https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/qemu&id=273924889b2563215778521747e0f0eb2e98c038

Then, the package was split going from 1.5.1 to 1.5.2 here:

  https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/qemu&id=3758dddfe4a14cbd6cb5b6ed6ccd0640d169046c

I am thinking the replaces() array was missed when the split was
created and is a bug that you should report.

$0.02,
-te

[1] https://github.com/qemu/qemu/blob/master/docs/libcacard.txt