[arch-general] Arch linux doesn't recognises micro SD card

Csányi Pál csanyipal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 18:58:13 UTC 2015

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 06:41:24PM +0100, Csányi Pál wrote:
>> I tried these steps by using Gparted too, but at this step Gparted
>> can't read partitions from the during read on
>>
>> /dev/mmcblk0
>>
>> Gparted gives the error message:
>> I/O error during read on /dev/mmcblk0
>>
>> What can I do to solve this problem?
>
> Your hardware has issues, and I don't think any software will fix it. My
> guess is that the issue is in one of three places:
>
> 1: Your SD card is damaged / broken. To test this, try it in
> a known-working reader. Note that Windows will not understand Linux /
> RPi partitions (but should be able to at least see the boot partition).

I can mount it's first partition, that with FAT32 type filesystem.
I can't only format it's second partition, with ex4 type filesystem.

Still does it mean that the uSD card is damaged?

> 2. If you're using a microSD to SD adapter, I've seen plenty of those be
> flaky and crappy. Try a different adapter, or get a reader that supports
> uSD directly.

Yes, I'm using a microSD card to SD adapter. I shall try another brand
of SD adapter, that I have.

> 3. The reader is broken. Since it's the built-in one on the laptop, the
> only way to test this is to try a different card / try on a different OS
> (live boot USB drives are useful for this).

I shall try that too.

> In any case, seeing IO errors in dmesg means that there are hardware
> problems. Udisk will not in any way solve those, and is not needed for
> imaging SD cards for the Pi. If your edit to the polkit config broke
> your login, undo it.

I did remove the configuration file, and did remove udisks; I have now
installed udisks2 only.

--
Regards from Pal