[arch-general] Arch linux doesn't recognises micro SD card

Sean Greenslade sean at seangreenslade.com
Thu Feb 26 18:25:08 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 06:41:24PM +0100, Csányi Pál wrote:
> I tried these steps by using Gparted too, but at this step Gparted
> can't read partitions from the during read on
>
> /dev/mmcblk0
>
> Gparted gives the error message:
> I/O error during read on /dev/mmcblk0
>
> What can I do to solve this problem?

Your hardware has issues, and I don't think any software will fix it. My
guess is that the issue is in one of three places:

1: Your SD card is damaged / broken. To test this, try it in
a known-working reader. Note that Windows will not understand Linux /
RPi partitions (but should be able to at least see the boot partition).

2. If you're using a microSD to SD adapter, I've seen plenty of those be
flaky and crappy. Try a different adapter, or get a reader that supports
uSD directly.

3. The reader is broken. Since it's the built-in one on the laptop, the
only way to test this is to try a different card / try on a different OS
(live boot USB drives are useful for this).

In any case, seeing IO errors in dmesg means that there are hardware
problems. Udisk will not in any way solve those, and is not needed for
imaging SD cards for the Pi. If your edit to the polkit config broke
your login, undo it.

--Sean