[arch-general] makepkg as root

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Sat Jan 3 21:05:59 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 03:45:35PM -0500, Christian Demsar wrote:
> Removing asroot reduces flexibility. For instance, when making packages on a live install usb. You'd have to create a new account and su into it.

Why? Just do what Arch LiveCD has been doing for ages (i.e. having the 'arch'
user).

And regardless of makepkg, using an only-root system (even read-only) is asking
for trouble.

> It seems like a projection of morals to me. Just because it's not good practice to use root permissions when it's not necessary, doesn't mean it won't ever be useful.

makepkg uses fakeroot, there is simply no need to be running as a superuser.

> The argument for choice and freedom of the creators can also be successfully used to justify DRM.

Companies are free to produce whatever crap they want. Unless you are a FSF (or
RMS) fanatic, there is nothing wrong with DRM really.

Cheers,
--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4